Meet the Governors
The Governing Body, consisting of a team of volunteers, works hard to act as a 'critical friend' for the senior management of the school. It is our role to hold the school to account in its efforts to continue to improve and strategically develop the school. We ensure that the education of our pupils remains its core focus.
The core functions of governance are:
- Ensuring that the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school are clearly defined.
- Ensuring that the head teacher performs their responsibilities for the educational performance of the school.
- Ensuring the sound, proper and effective use of the school’s financial resources.
In line with this, Ofsted have expanded the criteria used by inspectors, which now include:
How well Governors;
- Contribute to the school’s self-evaluation and understand its strengths and weaknesses, as well as ensuring they reflect on their own impact on school improvement.
- Support and strengthen school leadership, including their own development, by attending relevant training and development opportunities.
- Provide challenge and hold the school to account for improving the quality of teaching, pupils’ achievement and pupils’ behaviour and safety.
In practical terms this means we, as Governors, must ensure we understand the vision of the school and ask questions and comment at meetings so that our role in leadership can be evidenced within governing body minutes. We also attend training courses and use the skills learnt in practical ways to benefit the school.