If you find yourself in isolation please follow the learning above- click for the links.
The Year 1 virtual classroom- Autumn Term
Approximate Directed Activity Time - 1 hour - 1.5 hours per day
Ideally, every day we would like children to do the following:
English work - about 30/35 mins
- Read to an adult or older sibling for 10 minutes
- Practice some spelling or phonic work with an adult for 10 minutes
- Spend around 10-15 minutes writing practising their writing
Maths work - about 25/30 mins
- Practice counting or using TimesTables Rockstars for 15 minutes
- Spend around 10/15 minutes completing a maths task
Topic work - about 30 mins
Helping your child with home learning - what to do:
Reading (10 minutes).
- Ask an adult to hear your child read their school reading book. If you do not have a school reading book, you can use a picture book from home or an online book
- Listen out for them reading confidently, without having to sound each word out individually.
- Can they read with expression? Please spend a few minutes talking about the book, what happened in the book, what they think about it and why etc.
Phonics and Spelling (10 minutes)
- Visit Phonics Play https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/, which is a great site to continue reading words and applying sounds. You can access many games for free.
- flash cards- focusing on phase 3 but recapping phase 2
Writing (10-15 minutes)
- ‘Super Sentences’. The children should write at least 1 super sentence a day. This can be about anything they like. When they are writing ask them to
- practice what they want to say in their head before they write
- use a capital letter and full stop
- leave spaces between words
- sound out words
For some children one really good sentence is enough, some will be able and keen to write more. Go with your child’s level of confidence and ability - this should be a fun activity. We have included some story setting pictures below that you can use to write about if you would like, but you can write about anything.
Maths (30 minutes)
- Log onto TimesTables Rockstars/numbots
- You could also practice counting to 20 and back, starting at any number and also counting in 10s, 2’s and 5’s.
Topic Learning (30 minutes) Choose one per day:
- Science - Outdoor learning activities, if you have a garden only
- Looking at different materials in your house or garden- discuss their properties and how they differ from each other.
- Recognising the change in seasons – How do we know it is Spring? (hours of daylight, seasonal changes)
- Bug hunting and recording.
- Design Technology - Make a cake and practice measuring all the ingredients. Practice measuring in different ways (length, weight, volume etc)
- Create your own Inuit Sledge using recycled materials?
- Art - create a icy/snowy collage scene